AUTHOR: TAMMY FEREBEE
GENRE: Young Adult, Paranormal
PUBLISHED: September 21, 2015
PUBLISHER: Tammy Ferebee
Something greater than human…
Jaylen Hayes knows that she is different from all other seventeen-year-old girls. Possessing extraordinary intelligence, she is also uncannily powerful and inexplicably hated by wild animals. But it is not until she transfers to Trinity High that she learns the truth about who—and what—she really is.
Instinctively drawn to two new classmates—the intense and passionate Indigo, and the charismatic and breathtakingly gorgeous Michael—Jaylen soon learns the shocking secret of their shared heritage, and the bloodline that extends to the stars. However, all is not what it seems, and Jaylen soon finds her newfound security threatened when a trusted friend becomes a dangerous and vengeful enemy.
*I received an epub copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my review. All my opinion.
Stunning cover, not so stunning book. When it’s a Paranormal book of course it has a lot of coolness, an action packed plot or creepinessbut turned out NOT ALL Paranormal books are like ta. I tried liking this book but I failed. Outsiders is the first book that I read that has an alien concepts and I don’t know if that affected my dislike of this book.
“I’ve never been religious. Never picked up the Bible to read a scripture. Never even prayed.”
WHY I DID NOT ENJOY IT:
Can I escape insta-love for a few moments? It’s annoying When Michael saw Jaylen he felt a “strong connection” to her and explained it that it’s because of their alien abilities and blah blah. Everytime Michael says babe I cringe. The book is more focus to the romance than the action.
This feels uncomfortable. Whatever happened between the two of them definitely left behind a big blanket of tension. I like Indigo. She’s the first person I clicked with. But I really like Michael. I’m drawn to him. I met him only this morning, and already I look forward to seeing him and talking to him. I actually wish we could spend this time alone.
Indigo warned Jaylen about Michael but she didn’t listen and instead daydreaming about him. UGH.
“And you’re beautiful. I would just ask you out, but I thought with you being the new girl and hearing of my so-called reputation, you might want to get to know me taking the strictly platonic route.”
AND ALL THAT CRAP
2. HATE the characters. I was just reading the book and I can feel it that I’ll hate the characters especially Jaylen and Micahel and I was right. Really right. Jaylen was not a bad-ass character. The only like-worthy is probably Josh.
“Yeah, but I’m not considering all of them my friends. I’m not considering any of them my friends.”
(If I wrote this review in Bisaya I would literally say ” EDI WOW.”) I like characters who doesn’t trust easily but Jaylen’s situation is different.
3. The plot was a Gahhh. There wasn’t a major action and fight scenes but there was a minor one which I didn’t enjoy reading. I was only expecting a Paranormal and Young Adult air but then mixed genres came which made the plot dull.The Paranormal (and a bit of sci-fi) elements didn’t work with the plot. It’s more of a Contemporary book.
4. How Jaylen easily accepted that she’s an alien? Well if someone said that I’m a vampire, I’m going to jump around, roll, goes hysterical, stress eating then accepts it. But when Michael said that she’s an alien
and Michael said all of this when they were on his room *eye roll*she only asked questions-and a sign that she accepted all of it easily.
5. Questions that are not answered like why and how do they feel connections. I know that because they’re aliens but HOW. Are their ancestors aliens? Why can’t they just go back to the “alien world”?
“Damn it. I should’ve just kept quiet. I’ve always been great at hiding most things about myself, but I almost always reveal that my brain unexplainably produces answers to things I didn’t know just seconds earlier.”
And I would also love one . How do Jaylen’s brain produces answer? I know there’s a word that says UNEXPLAINABLE but surely there’s some scientific reasons right?
Also this book is a cliffhanger.
There are only two things that I liked:
1. There’s diversity. Jaylen’s bestfriend is bisexual and was attracted to her. There was a black character, a mixed one, and a protagonist that’s an Atheist.
2. The writing style was easy to read.